Thursday, January 19, 2006

A snowy trip home

On December 30, 2005 I was in such a hurry going down our hill that I ended up sliding hard into the curb during a light but wet snowstorm. I hit hard enough that my eyeglasses ended up in the back seat, and my purse contents dumped onto the floor. A sidenote was that when I opened the passenger side of the car to stuff my purse contents back into at least a semblance of order apparently some very imprtant papers fell out into the snow. I also bent the rim of the tire and the car drove funny until Alan changed it. Hum one line of It's so Nice to Have a Man Around the House here. Next, I discovered it was a blessing I lost those papers which apparently went all the way down and into the storm drain after the snow turned to a good rain. Meanwhile I cleaned a lot of things trying to figure out where they could be. Not in the house. Alan figured out what must have happened but no papers in sight. He suggested I walk all the way down to the boulevard and see for myself. In doing so I found a neighbor's social security card. I didn't know him, but we got acquainted when he came to retrieve the card. He'd been robbed at gunpoint, at 6:20 at night, in the dark, and the robbers got $13 for their trouble, and jail time when caught because of the gun. A man riding his bike to work found the wallet and most contents the next day at the bottom of Eastwood Drive. So. I lost my papers, found someone else's, and eventually discovered losing those particular papers was not as bad as it seemed since they were legal papers and filled out slightly wrong. What did I learn? That I wish messages could be sent in a less violent manner. I think I'd listen if the promoptings were to re-do those papers. I learned I am glad to have a live-in fixit man who can change a tire and rim, and who can tell me my papers are down the drain. Literally.

Who could script such a day.

I also learned a small crash in a slow moving car has left me more anxious than I care to admit when I must be out in the snow.

I learned I am not the only one who has more adventure than we'd like in our quiet neighborhood. Comments appreciated.

2 Comments:

Blogger amyegodfrey said...

That is a real adventure story. You're right. Who could have scripted that? I keep trying to make comments, but have been rejected. It says all comments have to be approved by the blog author. I'll try again.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Grandma Hyde said...

Okay, I've modified my setup, which I didn't realize wouldn't accept comments unless I approved. I was to unlearned to realize what I'd done, and just thought I was writing dumb stuff. Let's hear it for the comments! Maybe I'll get brave and add a few more postings.

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home